Established 1878

Mt. Olive Cemetery was established on February 5, 1878 when Alfred and Mary Jane Mulloy gave two acres of land on the north side of their homestead to be used for a Baptist Church and burial ground.

During the summer of 1878, the Mt. Olive Baptist Church building was erected. Church services were held until 1916. After that time, the church building was used primarily for funeral services until it was demolished in 1953.

The ground around the church was used as a cemetery and the first burial in 1879 was an infant child of the John W. Fleming family. The land was plotted for burial lots in 1880 and on May 28, 1892, it was declared a public cemetery and named "Mt. Olive Cemrtery."

Incorporation of the cemetery took place on April 21, 1931 and the name "Mt. Olive Cemetery Association of Laurel, Oregon" was adopted. In 1957, a fund was established and the revenue from this fund is used to help maintain the cemetery.

Perhaps the most famous person buried here is Roy Heater who became the world champion pole-vaulter at the 1905 AAU Track and Field Championships. The Oregonian wrote that Heater was "recognized as the best all-around athlete ever turned out in the Northwest."

Mt. Olive Cemetery is a tranquil resting place for many of our loved ones. The cemetery board desires to be of service during one of life's most difficult times.

Five directors administer the cemetery. The current president is Jerry Schmidt and the secretary-treasurer is Carl Denfeld.

Mt. Olive Cemetery Board

President: Jerry Schmidt
Secretary-Treasurer: Carl Denfeld
Director: Betty Stark
Director: Chuck Felton
Director: Reba O'Leary


Carl Denfeld